Footballographies: Football Club Tutorials A short history the creation of Fulham F.C.
Fulham FC can be traced back to 1879, when St Andrew’s Sunday School played cricket
and football. The football club took the name Fulham St. Andrew’s in 1886 but left the
St. Andrew’s behind two years later, becoming Fulham F.C.
In the early days, Fulham played at Purser’s Cross, using the Eight Bells Public House,
across the road, as a changing room. The pitch which came with its own tree and would sometimes
get waterlogged. Fulham eventually moved to Craven Cottage.
In what was once Anne Boleyn’s hunting grounds, the original Craven Cottage was built in 1780.
It stood at, what is now, the centre of the pitch, but burnt down in 1888. By the time
Fulham came along, the area was so overgrown that it took two years to clear. The stadium
still has a tree at the Putney End and a new cottage was built at the corner of the stadium,
to be used as changing rooms and offices. The club was nicknamed “The Saints” until
it lost the St. Andrew’s prefix, and later became known as “The Cottagers”.
That was a brief history of Fulham F.C. Do you think Fulham are Chelsea’s greatest
rivals? Please comment below, like and subscribe to
Footballographies to watch videos as they are released every week.